Call: 802-424-1234

Keep an Eye Out: Five Common Sources of Toxins in Your Home That Could Harm Your Furry Friends

As we approach National Animal Poison Prevention Week from March 19 to 25, our team would like to raise awareness of the many household items that can be toxic and potentially dangerous for our beloved pets.


#1: Medications

Miscalculated medication overdoses can be fatal for beloved pets, so it’s important to keep an eye out for household hazards that could inadvertently harm them. Food-motivated dogs are notorious pill poachers – they’ll grab dropped pills, scavenge through guest suitcases and even raid the countertop in search of tasty treats! So if you think your pet may have taken something they shouldn’t have, contact an animal poison control hotline right away.


#2: Food

The kitchen can be a letdown for unsuspecting pets, as it has many appetizing hazards. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol and other foods are particularly toxic to animals; they could lead to an array of ailments such as kidney failure or alcohol poisoning. To protect your pet from being tempted by the forbidden fruit in your kitchen ensure that you keep them away when cooking and buy a lockable bin for trash items.


#3: Household chemicals

Protect your pet from the harm that can come with exposure to common household chemicals by securely storing them away. Be sure you take extra precaution when it comes to keeping the following items out of reach:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

Houseplants can be toxic to your furry family members—especially lilies, which are fatal when cats even come in contact with their pollen. Other popular house plants that should be avoided if you have pets include dieffenbachia, elephant ear and spider plants. Additionally, outdoor blooms such as ivy or oleander may also bring harm to your pet’s health. To keep yourself and the ones you love safe from any potential threats posed by nature’s beauty consult the ASPCA’s list of poisonous plants before bringing home a bouquet or adding greenery to your garden!


#5: Batteries and coins

Ingesting batteries or coins can lead to metal poisoning, and if your furry friend chews on a battery it could result in chemical burns. Additionally, swallowing an intact battery whole may cause gastrointestinal blockage for your pet.


In the case that your pet has been exposed to any dangerous chemicals, contact our team right away. Don’t delay – take action now!